We are SO proud to be celebrating 1 year of SMART meetings on-site this August! It’s been a wonderful year of growth, learning, and teaching. Our clients constantly comment that they appreciate the SMART methodology and its science-based literature and teachings. Some are even interested in becoming SMART facilitators themselves once they get home. It is one of the highest attended group sessions on-site.
The SCHC SMART Meeting Room
We host SMART Meetings every Wednesday night at 6:30 PM at Sunshine Coast Health Centre’s main location in Powell River, BC. The space we have is the perfect set-up for the open and circular meeting. There are plump maroon couches and a view of the ocean and Texada Island. It creates an open and safe environment for sharing, talking, crosstalk, and feedback in a very inspirational setting. Every client is given a SMART handbook to use and to take home when they leave.
Facilitators, Fun Facts, and the Future
Our main facilitator, Courtney, has been doing these meetings for approximately 6 months. She loves it and our guys love the way she facilitates the meetings. There are also 4 more staff with the training and we love it too!
There is even more exciting news to share as another SMART meeting starts up locally for all of Powell River. The more resources for our recovery community the better!
What is SMART?
The SMART Recovery 4-Point Program offers tools and techniques for each program point:
- Building and Maintaining Motivation
- Coping with Urges
- Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
- Living a Balanced Life
The SMART Approach
- Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- Provides meetings that are educational, supportive and include open discussions.
- Encourages individuals to recover from addiction and alcohol abuse and live satisfying lives.
- Teaches techniques for self-directed change.
- Supports the scientifically informed use of psychological treatments and legally prescribed psychiatric and addiction medication.
- Works on substance abuse, alcohol abuse, addiction and drug abuse as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- Evolves as scientific knowledge in addiction recovery evolves.
- Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs.
To find SMART Meetings in your community, click here.